Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Tha Docta's First Live Blog: American Idol 4/18

Note: I know this is all late and wrong, since the results show has already aired and whatnot, but I wrote it, so I’m posting it.  As I read through this, I’m noticing that I need practice at it anyway, so here’s my first shot.

Chris Daughtry: “What a Wonderful World”

This did what it set out to do.  Chris needed to show that he doesn’t need to belt out a pure rock song in order to sound good.  And he showed that he really does have a fantastic voice.  

Paris Bennett:  (didn’t catch a title)

Ever since Paris’ audition, I’ve always thought she sounded eons better in this genre than in any other.  She could put out an album like this tomorrow.  I never really get into her performances in other types of music, though.  She definitely didn’t disappoint with this performance tonight.

Taylor Hicks: (didn’t catch a title)

Fantastic.  I discovered Sam Cooke after Taylor’s first audition, and he really nailed this one. He could do a lot in this genre, goofy gesticulations aside.  You know, people make fun of that, and he does look goofy, but at least he’s not trying to be something he’s not.  Did I just sound like Paula Abdul?

Elliot Yamin: “It Had to Be You”

Elliot has been my favorite for a few weeks now.  That having been said, I’m not thrilled with this song choice.  There’s such possibility with this kind of theme week, and you don’t have to pick a song like this, that’s been so overdone over the years.  The backup singers were way too loud, but even with a song like this that I’ve heard so many times, he’s still such a pleasure to listen to.

(Did Randy just make a good point?  Everyone is relaxed tonight, and you can tell!  Way to go, Randy!)

Kellie Pickler: “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered”

First of all, Kellie is not as dumb (and probably not as nice, either) as she’d playing herself up to be.  I don’t know what gives me that impression.  Call it a gut feeling.  This was the two-headed performance.  There were good parts, and maybe it was just me, but it seemed like she was horribly out of tune.  But people are going to vote for that face and the accent.  They just are.  

Ace Young: (didn’t catch a title)

Let me just start off by saying that Ace looks like an idiot tonight.  What’s with the librarian look?  Also, that was awful.  If there is any justice in the world, he will join Kellie in the bottom three on Wednesday.  I hated everything about that.  For some reason, the judges are fawning all over him about this.  Hopefully Simon is complementing so that he doesn’t get the sympathy vote that always happens when he tears a contestant a new one.

Katharine McPhee: “Someone to Watch Over Me”

She’s my second favorite.  I always enjoy her performances, and she’s definitely easy to look at, but something still seems just a little off about her.  I can’t put my finger on it.  All that aside, she was awesome again this week.  Probably the best of the night.

Summary:
This was probably the strongest week yet, and the theme actually helped the contestants instead of crippling them.  This is far and away the best top seven that’s ever been on the show.  If Ace leaves this week (he should) and Kellie leaves next week, the top five will be unbelievable.

Predictions:

Bottom Three: Kellie, Ace, Elliot.  I don’t think Elliot should be there, but he probably will be.  Hopefully he’ll survive another week and get another chance at his breakout performance (which, admittedly, he should have had by now).

Eliminated:  Ace.  Hey, a guy can hope, right?  He annoys me more every week.

Blogarama